Mushroom Bread Pudding
A decadent dish on its own or served as a side for your favorite holiday meal. Pair this dish with our 2017 Papapietro Perry Leras Family Vineyards Pinot Noir.
Ingredients and Directions
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. mixed wild and/or button mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced, about 4 cloves
- 1 cup leeks, (about 1 medium, white only) cleaned and chopped medium
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped (or 1 t. dried sage)
- 2 tsp, fresh thyme chopped
- 3 oz. Prosciutto, sliced thin and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 5 Large eggs
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 3 cup whole milk
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 6 cup 1-inch cubes of crustless day-old French bread
Pre-heat oven to 375⁰
Lightly butter or spray a 9 x 13- inch baking dish (or similar). Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add garlic and leeks. Sauté 1 minute: add mushrooms and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times until browned and soft, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and add sage, thyme and Prosciutto. Season with salt and pepper and mix together well. Let cool slightly.
In the meantime, combine eggs, cream, milk, ¼ c. of the cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix together. Add bread cubes and let stand 15 minutes, stirring once. Stir in mushroom mixture and pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Bake about 45-50 minutes until lightly browned and set in the center. Serve warm with chicken, turkey or roast beef and a Pinot Noir.
Combine the breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 T melted butter and scatter over sweet potatoes. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 45 minutes hour longer or until sweet potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle pomegranate seeds and parsley on top. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes before serving.
Serve with 2017 Papapietro Perry Leras Family Vineyards Pinot Noir.