Chicken Cordon Bleu
A Wine Club requested recipe of a culinary classic! Reinspired by Chef Jim May to pair perfectly with both our 2020 Peters Vineyard, Chardonnay, and our 2018 Sonoma Coast, Pinot Noir. A delish dish that is elegant, simple, and can be quickly created in your own kitchen.
Ingredients and Directions
- 1 T. butter
- 6 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 T. shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ c. white wine
- 1 t. fresh thyme (or ½ t. dried)
- ½ cup cream
- 3 T. whole grain mustard Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Add shallots and garlic and cook until slightly softened. Add in mushrooms and cook until juices are released and reabsorbed. Add wine, thyme, cream and mustard. Cook until evaporated but not dry. Cool completely. Salt & pepper to taste.
- 4 Chicken breasts, filleted and pounded to ¼ inch
- 4 oz. thin sliced Prosciutto
- Swiss cheese slices
- 2 T. melted butter
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 t. of lemon zest
- 2 T. of lemon juice
- 2 T. of apple cider vinegar
- 2 T. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste Whisk together.
- ½ 2 cup of shredded cabbage
- 2 apples, thinly sliced (julienne)
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced (julienne)
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- ½ cup of toasted sliced almonds Toss the cabbage, apples, and carrots. Mix thoroughly and add the slaw dressing. Add cranberries and almonds. Toss and ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 425°F
Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken breast in half through the middle lengthwise. Place plastic barrier over the breast to protect its structure. Gently pound out the halved chicken breasts to about ¼ inch thick. Once flattened, salt and pepper, lay one layer of Prosciutto, one layer of swiss cheese, and another layer of Prosciutto. Fold the corners and roll, creating a stuffed chicken log.
Brush the rolled chicken with melted butter. Mix parmesan cheese and panko in a small bowl, sprinkle and had press onto the chicken. Pour the remaining butter over the top for extra crispiness. Bake on 425°F 20-25 minutes (Chicken internal temperature of 165°F).
Serve with slaw and our 2020 Peters Vineyard Chardonnay or 2018 Sonoma Coast, Pinot Noir.