Asian Lettuce Cup with Mango Orange Salsa
Another Chef Jim May creation! Chef Jim made these for us using both chicken and duck, and they were superb both ways. Try it paired with our Nunes Vineyard Pinot Noir—amazing—even at 10:30 in the morning!!
Ingredients and Directions
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs*
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 T. Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 T. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- ¼ c. hoisin sauce
- 1 t. fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 16 iceberg or butter lettuce leaves
- 2 T. red wine
- Mango Orange Salsa (see below)
Dice chicken into ½-inch pieces. Heat oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium high heat; add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook 10-12 minutes. Add wine, soy sauce, Chinese Five Spice and hoisin sauce. Reduce heat to low and stir to coat chicken. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Serve in lettuce cups topped with Mango Orange Salsa. Can also be placed on endive leaves and served as an appetizer.
*We substituted duck for chicken thighs at the winery and it was a quacking success!
Mango Orange Salsa
- 1 c. mango, peeled and diced ¼”
- 1 c. Navel orange peeled, segmented and diced ¼” thick
- ¼ c. red onion, diced fine
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 t. jalapeno pepper, seeded, diced fine
- ¼ c. cilantro leaves, chopped coarsely
- Salt & pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes or more. Can be made the night before.
Download Printable Copy